Saturday, June 9, 2012

June 9, 2012 ~ Encouragement



Therefore encourage one another and build up one another,
just as you also are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11


Thoughts~

My father was a radio announcer and he had a lot of funny stories to share at the dinner table.  But sometimes he would become pre-occupied and one evening I said something crazy to see if he was listening to me. “Yes, today I walked to the grocery store and was the 100,000 customer so won $10,000 worth of groceries” I said one time.  He didn’t hear me, but all of the kids and my mom joined in my laughter. After that, it became our little joke to get his attention. If he heard laughter, he wanted in on it too.

We humans need encouragement and attention.  We actually thrive on it. Without receiving this amazingly free gift that we can offer to anyone, we would most likely shrivel up inside. We can change someone’s day with just a little kindness, a smile, a pat on the back. We can also do the opposite by rushing by, ignoring, and being simply too busy to care.

I have noticed for many, many years how people walk by others and say “how are you” without waiting for an answer. They don’t make the time to engage with others. I am guilty of it too. I want to slow down and listen to the responses I get and check if the person is needing a little bit of extra time from me. Even if they are a stranger, that person may need one minute of my time to feel important, to feel worthy. And you never know when one little word leads to another and before we know it, we are aware that this encounter was a divine appointment set in our schedule by God. When He wants to send encouragement and love to someone, He uses us. We are His messengers of love.

Action~

Slow down and listen to the voices around you with an intentional ear. Is someone needing encouragement or that extra attention from you?  Can we be part of making someone’s day brighter or life easier? Can we be a link in the chain to sharing Jesus with them? Let’s encourage and build up one another.

Even if you are the person that needs the encouragement, step outside of your own needs and look to those of others and before you know it, you’ll be feeling encouraged just by being the encourager!

Pray~

Lord, please help me listen more intently to the people you bring into my path.  Give me an ear like You have and send me the perfect words to encourage and build up those that come into my life.

Trusting in Him,
Becky



No comments:

Post a Comment