Friday, August 10, 2012

August 11, 2012 ~ Do you love God?



But whoever loves God is known by God.
1 Corinthians 8:3

Thoughts~

When I was a teenager I used to attend Young Life camps and we would sing “They’ll know we are Christians by our love.” In the most naïve way, I really believed that all Christians would be so full of love for Jesus that it would spill out onto everyone they met.

This is sadly not so and I experience unloving actions by believers from time to time, as does everyone. And sadly, I have not always shown love to people and that has been something I will be working on until I meet Jesus. 

It’s easy to love the lovable.  But those people that rub us the wrong way, well, that takes a Jesus kind of love. One that I pray for often so I can show love to them. I want to be known as a Christian, not just an artist or a social worker. I want unbelievers to come to me when they are in trouble because they know I will listen and pray for them. And I want to act like a Christian, a Christ-follower, a lover of Jesus.

Wearing a Chili’s restaurant name tag that says “Carol” does not make me Carol nor does it make me an employee of Chili’s. Likewise, just because people say they are a Christian, it does not mean they really are.



God alone knows our hearts and He sees the whole picture. He knows we are Christians by our love.



Actions~

When we are called to love one another, there are still people we cannot be around. Perhaps it is because of trust issues, slander, life styles, or a myriad of other reasons. BUT what we can do is pray for these people. The act of praying is freeing and liberating. My friend Vicki copied these words from notes in her Bible for a group I belong to:

“When God says to pray, he really means it. To pray is the most commonly mentioned command in Scripture. It is mentioned more than love your neighbor,” more than “go to church,” and more than “evangelize.” More than anything else, God calls us to pray.

We should be people of great prayer. We should be prayer warriors. We should be people who use the ministry of prayer to its fullest capacity. The highest and greatest calling of Christians is the ministry of prayer.”

So I say, start praying, in love, for the people you may never see again but can still love. The liberating act of long distance love blots out resentment and you will find you are happier and more filled with love for others in your life.

I like visuals so I found a little box and in it placed the names of people long gone from my life for various reasons. People I do love, but can’t have a relationship with. Occasionally, I will open the box and randomly pull out a name or two and pray for them. Some are believers, some are not. But by loving them from afar, I do not carry resentment.

Pray~

God, I love how you love me and I love how you have given me such a desire to spread love around. Help me, with the power of Your Holy Spirit, to love like You do.

Trusting in Him,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment