Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 18, 2012 ~ I WILL Serve the Lord




"If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Joshua 24:15


Thoughts~

There is always someone or something that we will be serving. I found myself serving pride and ego once upon a time, until the Lord knocked that off my shoulder and humbled me, face down and surrendering to Him. I also served the past, looking at it way too much and allowing it to affect my present and future. God stepped in and knocked that off my shoulder too. He wants me to serve Him and Him alone and as long as I allowed other things to take up my time and focus, I could not live my life fully for Him.

Over my early years as a believer, I have at times served many things that took my focus off the Lord. About 10 years ago it was my ministry . . . which sounds kind of crazy but it’s true. Putting my ministry ahead of my intimate walk with the Lord made me ineffective and tired.

Joshua kept the Lord in front, in first place; His faithfulness was shown in such a strong and dramatic way in this verse. If we were listening in, the tone might even be a bit sarcastic. After all God had done for the
 Israelites, it was a challenge of sorts: Serve the Lord or serve someone else, but, at least serve! I can hear him now, perhaps exasperated.

Joshua’s leadership is to be admired, but, more than anything, it is his complete devotion to serving the Lord and no one, or, nothing else. This is a time I want to be a copy cat and mimic Joshua's utter devotion to God.

Action~

Who are you serving? Is it God? Are you putting anything except Him in the first place position in your life?

Take a deep breath and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you anything that is coming between you and God. Is it a spouse or family? Memories? Your job? Vacations? Shopping? Hobbies? Worries?

Serving God completely is an experience like none other. It is one of those “ah ha” moments, full of the brightest bliss and deepest contentment. Change your priorities for a life full of meaning and purpose: you can’t go wrong when you serve the King.

 Pray~

Thank You, Lord, for allowing me to see Joshua’s faithfulness to You. May I choose everyday to serve You and only You.

Trusting in Him,
Becky

Like my Facebook page here:

No comments:

Post a Comment