Sunday, October 21, 2012

October 22, 2012 ~ Lord, show me the way




Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
    for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
    for to you I entrust my life.
Psalm 143:8

Thoughts ~

When we go to bed at night and talk to the Lord before falling asleep, we have praises and joys to thank God Him for. But, sometimes we climb into bed, dragging all kinds of accumulated negative junk from the day with us.  It’s the kind of junk that can threaten to keep us from a peaceful sleep, giving us tired eyes and a grumpy attitude the next morning.

I’ve learned, over the years, that the last thing my eyes should see is God’s word. I don’t have a TV in my bedroom because it’s a time for me to read in bed and wind down from a hectic, full day. I read a lot of Christian fiction (Jerry Jenkins, Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury and more) but after my wind down time, I turn to a daily devotional called Bedtime Blessings (Chuck Swindoll) and read a super short paragraph. Chuck always includes scripture so I reflect on that and turn off the lights, ready for some prayer time.

As I pray, I give all the negative junk and issues to the Lord.  Every detail that might keep me from sleeping well. I put my trust in Him and believe that the next day, morning will be there, refreshed and waiting for me to begin a new journey. And know He will show me the way to go.


Action ~

When you see God’s word last in your day and speak to Him, giving Him our praises, joys, and needs, you will have a better night’s sleep. For some people, it is an instantaneous experience they embrace. For others, it takes some discipline to get in the sweet habit of spending the last minutes of their day with God.

Please consider trying this for one week. By trusting God with your life as you lay your head down on your pillow, believe that He will show you where to go. Mornings will bring you a sense of His love, knowing He is in charge, not you.

Pray ~

Thank You, Lord, for taking all of the junk that threatens to keep me tossing and turning through the night and giving me a sweet peaceful sleep. Show me through Your Holy Spirit how and where I should go the next morning.

Trusting in Him,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment