Monday, October 29, 2012

October 30, 2012 ~ Contented or disgruntled?




I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
Philippians 4:12

Thoughts~

As I drove home from dinner at a nice restaurant with two long time friends, I had plenty of time to reflect on our evening. I’d spent a magical evening sharing food and friendship in a very pretty setting. I talked to the Lord on the way home and thanked Him for a special night and an opportunity to share my faith a little bit.

Generally I do not go out to eat at “nicer” restaurants like I did when I was married. I miss those times, and yet, I know that perhaps because it is not an everyday happening for me, I was able to appreciate the evening more. God has taught me that I must be content in all situations and not be dissatisfied with where He wants me right now. Charles Swindoll once said that if God wanted us somewhere else, we’d be there, as long as we are putting Him first and listening to Him.

I am perfectly content in my current life; as God knows, I am willing to accept whatever He gives to me. Like Paul, I have had plenty and now have far less. And yet, my faith carries me like a ship in the ocean; staying on course in my walk with the Lord. Contentment has come to stay in my life.

Action~

Words that are the opposite of the word contentment are: 
Unhappiness
Disgruntled
Discontented
Dissatisfied
Restlessness

Those words alone make me want to be ready and willing to eliminate them when they creep into my life. When I sense any of those feelings knocking on the front door, I let them know that they are not welcome in my home. Those negative words are eager to pull me away from contentment and they are certain to take my eyes off of the Lord.

Have any of the words made a home in your life? Get rid of them today.  Ask God to teach you how to be content. He is such a great teacher and will do that quickly because contentment brings peace to you and glory to Him.

Pray~

Father, I know how much You love me and thank You for showing me how to trust in You and embrace contentment.

Trusting in Him,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment