Friday, November 2, 2012

November 3, 2012 ~ Jealousy




Anger is cruel and fury overwhelming,
but who can stand before jealousy?
Proverbs 27:4

Thoughts ~ When I was in my twenties, I had a young woman snub me over and over while at a weeklong training seminar before we went out in the field to serve the Lord with Athletes in Action. I wasn’t bold enough to ask why she was this way but God took a hold of her heart and she came to me on the final day, asking me to forgive her.

She told me, with tears running down her cheeks, that she was jealous of my outgoingness. I was completely shocked. She was an incredibly beautiful blond woman, and while reserved, she had a beautiful voice when she spoke and sang. We spent an hour talking and understood that our week could have been so much better had jealousy not reared its ugly head.

Jealousy isn’t mentioned much in sermons, at least none that I have heard. And yet, it is such a horrific emotion, it will rot your heart. It comes from being selfish and self centered, wanting what you do not have.

Jealousy ruins relationships and keeps you from having a close, loving relationship with the Lord. It creeps into your mind like a tapeworm, eating away at all things good. I’ve watched jealousy consume someone I care about and destroy friendships along the way.

Jealousy is mentioned in Galatians 5:20 along with idolatry, witchcraft, hatred and several other traits we do not want to have. The enemy of God loves to push jealousy at us. Beware of this horrid reaction to others possessions, gifts and lives.

Jealousy has absolutely no place in the life of a believer: it must be spotlighted and then destroyed in order for us to walk peacefully with Jesus and serve Him with a clean heart.

Action ~ How can we refrain from jealousy? Only through the power of the Holy Spirit. Read Galatians 5:13-26 by clicking on the link. Especially note verse 20.


Who are you jealous of? Remember, when we are jealous, we are being self centered. 

Using a “love in action” plan, call the person, send them an email, text or note on Facebook, encouraging them in the area you wish you had. Open the door for a closer relationship. Get rid of jealousy and you get rid of that tapeworm!

Prayer ~ Lord, may jealousy never find its way into my heart. Remind me that I am right where I am supposed to be, living my life and not someone else’s. I trust in You, Lord.

Trusting in the Lord,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment