Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 23, 2013 ~ Waiting in Silence


My soul, wait in silence for God only,
For my hope is from Him.
Psalm 62:5

Thoughts ~ Last night I was reading my devotional book Bedside Blessings (by Chuck Swindoll) and was struck hard by something he wrote. It’s so simple, yet applied to the way I feel. When someone expresses your own desires, you feel pretty excited!

Chuck wrote:
“Anyone whose determined purpose is to become more deeply and intimately acquainted with God cannot retain the rights to his own position or place . . . or be anxiously preoccupied with working out the details of his own life. There must be complete and unqualified reliance on the Living Lord. In other words, one must develop the discipline of surrender.”

I may not have had a Damascus Road experience like Paul, but I did find I wanted to live for God, and not myself, on a road called Surrender. It is a bit of a lonely road too. Not a lot of people want to travel it; but when you meet someone with their spiritual back pack flung over their shoulder as they walk the same journey, it’s so incredibly exciting! Chuck’s little paragraph charged me up and made me realize I am not weird to want to live in complete surrender like some former friends think. Nope, I’m not weird at all. I’m content.

If you’ve been a reader of my blog, you know a lot about me. If you’re new, just let me say that for ten years (1987-1997) I enjoyed the lifestyle of a very lukewarm Christian; a self-centered existence. I promise you that I didn’t seek the “Surrender Road.” I basically had no choice: God called me by my name, picked me up from the muck and mire and set my GPS to this new and unfamiliar life where He is number One, not me.

Today I feel joy and peace . . . even though if you were to examine my checking account you would shake your head. I rely on the Lord and I’ve learned a new way of living. Do I miss having a lot of disposable income? Sure! But God has brought contentment into my life and I will continue waiting on Him to guide my steps.


Action ~ Did you read today’s post and want to completely surrender with me? Let me know, okay? I will pray for you!

Or maybe it seems too radical. If so, would you do me one favor and pray for me today? I need prayer warriors in my corner even if they don’t want to walk on the same road. Prayer is a vital backbone to being able to wait on and trust the Lord.

Pray ~ Thank You Lord for giving me the desire to surrender my control issues. To be honest, I would never have chosen to live a life surrendered completely to you. But You pushed me into it and now I will never go back.

Trusting in Him,
Becky

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I want to completely surrender. There is so much pain in my heart sometimes I can barely breathe. God is keeping me alive, but I don't know why. I'm 58 years old. Left alone. I surrender.

    ReplyDelete