Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4, 2012 ~ Go, believer, go!



By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
Hebrews 11:8

Thoughts~

Diaries, journals and blogs. In some ways they are similar, but, they are a bit different from one another.  I kept a diary in junior high then in high school I began journaling a little bit. I wish I had kept my earlier musings and had them to read now, to watch how God took me from one spot to the next as part of His plan for my life. As a senior in high school, journals became an important part of my life and I began using them as a way to reflect on my spiritual life. I did find one old journal today from 1972! Its hand written of course and I love reading my thoughts at 20 years old.

God called me and I picked up His call early in my spiritual journey. I wrote on September 12, 1972 these words in response to Hebrews 11:8:

“I really want to be able to go out, not knowing where I am going. I realize I need to look Jesus in the eye and follow Him, not listening to the worlds convictions; their advice to look at circumstances. I really don’t believe that as a follower of Jesus I can look at anything but Him if I am to go out for Him. I must have so much faith that there is nothing else between Jesus and me.  How I yearn for that faith – to totally trust Him like a little child.”

What touched my heart is that I loved Him so much way back then and was ready to go wherever He sent me. Even with a detour . . . a big detour, for a few years . . . He called again and rounded me up, bringing me back to a sweet and intimate relationship with Him. I regret some choices I made during the detour but I can’t say I wish they hadn’t  happened because they made me stronger and the woman I am today. And God has used them as He prepares paths for me that I truly can’t imagine.

The author of Hebrews encouraged me in 1972 and he still does today.  Abraham followed God even though he had no idea where he was going! Can you imagine getting in your car without a GPS and allowing God to direct you? Abraham’s faith was so strong that he trusted God that much. I echo what I wrote 40 years ago:I must have so much faith that there is nothing else between Jesus and me.  How I yearn for that faith – to totally trust Him like a little child.” 

We should never stop growing in our faith, no matter what age we are: it is a forever personal activity. Someday believers in Christ will be looking at Him right in the eye and loving Him with all of our hearts as His beloved children. I can’t wait!

Action~

I have a two part action suggestion today.

First, may I encourage you to buy a blank book or notebook and start a spiritual journal? Write in it daily or once a week on a certain day. Keep it up and one day you too will be able to revisit your younger self and see how God has prepared paths for you.

Second, think about a time you felt God may have asked you to go somewhere, without being given all the details. Did you go? Was it a time your faith grew? Are you ready and willing to go now if He calls?

Pray~

I love the way You use my past to bring me to the place You have me today. Thank You, Lord, for using me, just as I am.

Trusting in Him,
Becky

Like my Facebook page here:

No comments:

Post a Comment