Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 5, 2012 ~ Just Do It



Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.
Do what it says.
James 1:22

Thoughts~

I meet with a small group of women in my home twice a month; we study the Bible and books that point us towards spiritual growth. We have spent nearly a year on one book that has been really tough because it is written in a style that isn’t easy to grasp. But we are determined to finish it up in August.  This particular book takes us into scripture and into spiritual disciplines such as consistent time in the word of God so that we not only read it but we do it. We know the importance of spending time alone with the Lord, reading His word.

Some admitted they were not in the daily habit of Bible reading and we talked about when we love someone we want to spend all our time with them.  Exactly how it is when we love Jesus.  We want to spend time getting to know Him as best as we can. And it is in God’s word that we become intimate with our Savior. And it is there that we learn how and what God expects us to do.

When we don’t read scripture and apply it to our lives in obedience, we are basically saying we know better than God. And of course we don’t at all.  However, the tricky part comes in the basics of how to get started when you don’t feel like reading your Bible. Once you get into it, you are always amazed at how the words speak directly to you and you wonder why you didn’t want to read it in the first place. The question then is how does a person start the enduring habit of reading God's word each day. 

The bottom line is this: you must want to.  And if you don’t, there is a short 5 word prayer that has been the secret prayer of mine in everything that I lag behind in. 5 words that you bring to the Lord. 5 words that will change your walk with Him as you watch the Holy Spirit work in your life. 5 words of real honesty:

Lord, I want to want to.

Action~

It is easy to add whatever it is you are struggling with:

Lord, I want to want to read my Bible daily.
Lord, I want to want to be kinder to my spouse.
Lord, I want to want to stop ___________.
Lord, I want to want to obey You.

These words are effective because they show the Lord you may not have the desire to obey but you want to have the desire. He always answers this prayer. He wants to see you grow in your walk with Him.

What do you want to want to do? Give it over to the Lord right now. 

Pray~

Father, I so want to want to live in obedience to you all of the time. Give me your power to come to the place that I can’t wait to spend time in Your word.

Trusting in Him,
Becky

Like my Facebook page here:

No comments:

Post a Comment