Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August 23, 2012 ~ Got Wisdom?




Wise words are like deep waters;
Wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook.
Proverbs 18:4

Thoughts~

When I first began reading Proverbs, I immediately fell in love with the inspiring wisdom that Solomon wrote so very long ago.  How amazing it is that it still applies to our lives today!  Clothes trends, hairstyles, shoes and decorating styles are forever in a constant state of evolution.  But God’s word stays exactly the same and His edifying wisdom is precisely what we need to grow as believers.

I’ll be honest that my first Bible that had both Old and New Testaments in it was very difficult for me to read, let alone grasp the meaning of a Proverb. As a 19 year old, I decided to visit a Christian bookstore and searched for another version that would speak to my heart. The New American Standard version was the one I enthusiastically selected, and since then, I have purchased several others versions that help me when I study.

Nearly 12 years ago I began reading a chapter of Proverbs a day, matching the day of the month to the chapter. There are a lot of people around the world that do this and while you would think it would be repetitious, it isn’t. There is daily wisdom found in those 31 chapters that never fail to speak to me in the way I need it most. Sometimes it’s several verses, other times it is just one.  But, always, there is a wealth of wisdom to be found. And the wise words freely flow into my heart and once again my soul is nourished. Satisfaction over God’s wisdom is priceless.

Action~

Just for one day, get your feet wet in the deep waters of wisdom. Today, read Chapter 31 of Proverbs. Read it slowly and savor the words. It is one of my favorite chapters and will speak to you whether you are a man or woman. You may enjoy this so much, you’ll want to read Proverbs 1 on April 1, Proverbs 2 on April 2 and continue on for the whole month. I challenge you to do this, read all of Proverbs in the month of April, and then write to me on April 30th and tell me how the wisdom of Proverbs has affected your walk with the Lord.  And share with me how God has used that wisdom to speak to others. He will, you know.

Pray~

Father, thank You for the incredible wisdom You have provided to us through Solomon. May my mouth be a bubbling brook of wisdom and not a cesspool of filthy words.

Trusting the Lord,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment