Thursday, November 29, 2012

November 30, 2012 ~ Our Teacher





“God is exalted in his power. Who is a teacher like him?
Job 36:22 


THOUGHTS ~ I’ve been going back to college over the past two years. The recession pretty much changed my life as I knew it as an artist-muralist so I decided to go back to get a degree in Social Work. At times I question myself and wonder why at 60 years old I am doing this. But mostly I am thrilled with my education and know God will use me in the lives of hurting people. I’m in my fourth semester and oh will I be happy when I graduate and start working for Hospice (or where God intends for me to be). But for now, my job is to study hard and learn everything I can. I can’t hurry this process: I must take one semester at a time and apply what I learn now. While my goal is to graduate with honors in college, (A’s would be amazing), I will simply be happy to get on with it.

Chuck Swindoll recently wrote “You are His beloved student taking His toughest courses.” This spoke to me so much because I realized that the course that is the toughest for me in life is being a student of the Lord’s. Being a Christian who sets God’s standard as their own is not easy. It is not just hard . . . it is testing, challenging and oh-so difficult at times. To ignore the world’s taunts, to “do my own thing”, to “get with the modern times” and to practice “tolerance” where sin abides is what many people yell from the sidelines.

Yet, I choose to walk in obedience and while it is not easy, I can’t skip through the process of learning from my much loved Teacher, the God of my life. While I study, He is cheering me on, using encouraging people in my life, sending me His word in unexpected ways and bringing joy to my soul as I read His word. During testing times, most of the time He is quiet just like teachers are in the classroom. They want to see how much of the course work we have absorbed and allow us the time to complete the test. But during my tests, while He may be quiet, the Holy Spirit abides in me so I never feel alone but am surrounded with God’s presence. Sometimes He brings His word to me at the very exact time I need a particular verse and other times I need to dig for it. But I am learning from Him and, while I can’t quote every verse, I sure do know what He has to say about life’s issues.


 God’s plan for me is to learn His word, practice it and live it. Sounds simple, but as you know, it’s not. BUT we can all do this because we have the power of the Holy Spirit to guide and direct us. When we truly know His word deep in our hearts, mind and soul, we will live it the way He planned. Sure I stumble, but I don’t fall because He is there to catch me. He sets my feet on firm ground and sends me on my way in the big classroom called life. I sure do hope I get an A.

ACTION ~ What life subject has been the hardest for you lately? Give this matter over to the Lord, the best Teacher.  He will give you the help you need in this troublesome situation.

PRAYER ~ Oh God, thank YOU for being the absolute best teacher of all.  Keep teaching me, guiding me and helping me as I work through the course work You have given to me. Amen.

Trusting only in Him,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment