Wednesday, December 12, 2012

December 13, 2012 ~ Day 13: Giving our hearts (by helping)



Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:16

Day 13 ~
Thoughts ~ Someday when I am old I hope that there will be people who are around me and ready to help me. But while I am in the middle years, I hope that God will use me to make a difference in the lives of people who need help and don’t know how to ask for it.
As I write this blog for day 13, I am kind of smirking because I am reminded of being lost on vacation and my husband refused to ask for directions.  Many people are just like that whether for stubbornness, shyness or other reasons.

Helping others is life transforming . . . but we need to wrap our mind around it sometimes. We are helping because we love the Lord, not to get brownie points in heaven or pats on the back on earth. Just to show someone else the love of God is what giving is all about. But, how fun it can be to help others and today you get to be a stealth helper.



Actions~ While it would really be interesting to have a button made like this one and wear it places, finding out what people would ask of us, today we will be helpers in disguise. It will cost you nothing at all but time. Go to a mall, grocery store or other public place and watch for someone needing help. You can carefully approach them and offer to help them. I say carefully because people are often suspicious of people that want to help. Sadly, our culture doesn’t help as a way of life . . . but we can change this situation, one person at a time. Let’s copy Jesus and care about the well being of the people that surround us every day.

I saw an older handicapped man bagging his groceries the other day and afterwards I thought why didn’t I offer to help him? He had smiled at me first and it would have been so easy to volunteer my energy. For day 13 I will help at least one person; for the rest of my life, I vow to be more alert and ready to help instead of distracted with the things on my mind. Helping others out can make a big difference to their lives.

Shopping for a neighbor who can’t get out or giving someone a hand will make a difference in someone’s life. Watch for opportunities to give your heart through God’s love.

Prayer ~ Lord, help me to find opportunities to help others. I’m sorry for the missed opportunities to show your love. Amen.

Trusting in the Lord,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment