Thursday, December 13, 2012

December 14, 2012 ~ Day 14: Giving our hearts (cheerfully)



Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:7 

Day 14

Thoughts ~ I love surprising friends with special gifts and its fun receiving them (like the tin full of cookies today!) but giving a gift for someone you don’t know takes imagination and extra effort. And that is what we will be doing for day 14 of our giving journey. Making an extra effort to bring some joy into a stranger’s life. It will cost a little bit but not much unless you want it to.

I can tell by the numbers I see on my blog that people were at first very excited to participate and then each day the enthusiasm weaned.  We all get busy and have so much to do, work, family, gifts to purchase and parties to attend. I do understand that because in all honesty, some of my ideas I have not been able to do yet either. Next year I will be more prepared and plan to use January clearance sales and summertime to get ahead of the game. It’s not really the gift that matters as the effort we are putting into something that brightens someone’s day. It’s sharing forward the love of the Lord and caring more about someone else than we do for ourselves. And it’s giving cheerfully.


Action ~ So, cheerfully get yourself to the dollar store and buy a Christmas stocking.  Walk around the store finding things to put in it and then take it to a homeless person, an exhausted worker, a neighbor who is alone.  Whoever you decide to give your stocking to, try to add little gifts the person would like. I chose to give mine to a “safe” homeless man I see often. I haven’t taken it to him yet but will next week. I know he will smile his toothless grin and say “oh God Bless you” and I always say “God bless you right back” which makes him smile more. I added a few items from the past weeks giving and toiletry items, chap stick, a candy cane and socks. I only spent $15 to fill it up. I can’t wait to give it to him and shower him with a little more of God’s love.

Prayer ~ Father don’t ever let me forget those in need. It’s easy to but I don’t want to forget them. Amen

Trusting in the Lord,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment