Monday, December 17, 2012

December 18, 2012 ~ Day 18: Giving our hearts (with action)




"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?
Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:17-18

Day 18

Thoughts ~ I’m very aware that children and adults are killed around the world every day. I sadly heard about the innocent children in China being killed in their classroom last week. Every day there are accidents that result in death, including natural causes like earthquakes, hurricanes and more. However, since I live in America, the horrible tragedy at Sandy Nook Elementary School last Friday has affected me deeply. I have cried, prayed and empathized. I turned off the TV for a day but turned it back on because I want to remember and share in the sorrow of these families.

I’m sad the children were taken from their parents but comforted knowing they are with the Lord.  I’m proud of the heroic actions of some of the staff and teachers at Sandy Hook. 26 people, plus the mother of the shooter, were killed last Friday and the impact of their deaths has reverberated around our country. And I know I’ll recover from this devastation, but I’ll never ever forget. God wants us to show compassion and empathy . . . but I know He wants us to be present in the lives of the people who surround us. So I am choosing to move on a little more. Today I am going to work on finding balance in my life through giving my heart. While I will continue praying for the families, I am going to see how I can give to the people who are in need today.

Actions ~ Let’s help a person . . . or two or three. As I sit in my toasty warm home I’m aware of the chill outdoors even here in Phoenix. I wonder how many people keep warm who are either homeless or poor without heat. And I simply want to give to those who can’t help themselves right now. So in honor of the people who were killed at Sandy Hook, I’m buying blankets to give out. Love-in-action is going to take a little of my money and I wish I could do much more.  I wish I could buy 27 blankets but for now, I’ll buy what I can. And then I will search out some homeless people to share them with. I plan to add a Christmas card to the blanket and share the love of Jesus with them.



Prayer ~ Father, I ask again for comfort for the families who have lost a loved one. My heart is heavy for them and I am so grateful knowing the children are with you in Heaven. I don’t understand tragedies like this but I do trust You and will continue trusting all the days of my life. I like to imagine Jesus holding them all in the biggest group hug and then helping them to find people they know that are already in Heaven. Father heal us all, heal our hearts. Amen

Trusting in the Lord,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment