Friday, December 7, 2012

December 8, 2012 ~ Day 8: Giving our hearts (with cookies)



How sweet are Your words to my taste!
Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Psalm 119:103

Day 8

Thoughts ~ While I practice decent nutritional choices during the rest of the year, there is something about the month of December that creates sweet cravings; triggers are probably more like it. Not only do I celebrate Christmas with friends over the course of the month, but I celebrate my birthday too, which involves several lunches and dinners and yes, sweets!

David says in Psalm 119 that God’s words were even sweeter than honey to him. When you study this verse a little, you find out that David craved the word of God and delighted in it. Can I say the same every day? “I want to want to.” I want to crave God’s word and taste its sweetness that fills my heart with delight. Every single day, even when stress piles in through the back door, anxiety is knocking at the front door and worry is trying to climb through an open window. Sweeter than honey is God’s word and my soul will be satisfied.

Action ~ Bake or buy some cookies to share! My friend Linda Cartwright came up with this idea for day 8 and I like it so much I would like to be a recipient of it. I am a cookie lover big time. They are the one treat I enjoy more than any other.  Maybe it’s because they last longer than a piece of key lime pie or a chuck of chocolate. A cookie says comfort to me.


Wrap some cookies you baked (or bought from the bakery) in a bag and share them with people that are in your day. From the service man that comes to fix your cable connection, to the delivery woman, present a pretty bag of cookies with a Merry Christmas tag from one of the previous days. Or you could write Merry Christmas on one side and your favorite Bible verse of thanks on the other. Have fun sharing God’s love!


Prayer ~ Thank You Father for giving to us the sweetest gift of all: Your Son Jesus. Amen.

Trusting in the Lord,
Becky

(The little cookie maker is my first grandson, Joey, whose Mama is a wonderful baker.)

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Unfortunately I am very sick and can't do this. But any extra cookies can be sent my way! :-) I was looking forward to baking cookies with my granddaughters, but I don't think it's going to happen now. Even so, a wonderful idea and so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete