Monday, January 28, 2013

January 29, 2013 ~ Looking at Ourselves through God's Eye's


For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Thoughts ~ God has amazing plans for each of us and guess what? The ones He has for me don't look like the ones He has for you. We are all created differently, so of course, it makes sense His plans will be different for us. But the enemy of our soul will do everything he can to gang up on us with his evil army by causing us to take our eyes off the Lord so His plans can't be carried out as easily. One of those ways satan arrives in our lives is to bring negativity into our minds.

Action ~ If you tend to be negative or a 'glass half empty' personality, I'd love for you to try an exercise to stop this mind set so you can draw closer to God than you ever have before. When we think negatively, we are often not really leaning on the Lord and appreciating all He has done for us and will do in the future. Remember that satan tosses negative thoughts at us, not God. As Jeremiah 29:11 tells us, He has a plan for each of us and will give us a hope and a future.

Take a piece of paper and divide in in three columns vertically. (You can make a word doc in the same way but carrying your sheet around with you will help more). In column 1 the header will say "negative thoughts." In column 2 it will say "positive thoughts" and in column 3 it will say "God's thoughts."


In column one, list your negative thoughts in detail for your life. For example, some might be "I am fat" or "I am worthless" or "I can't pay my rent" or "I am afraid to live alone."

In column 2, list positive thoughts that correspond to your column 1 thoughts. For example if you wrote "I am fat" in the positive column you might write "I am working on eating healthier and getting more exercise." If you wrote "I am afraid to live alone" you would write some of the positive things about living alone will bring. Write an opposite of whatever your negative is and if you can't think of one, ask a friend who loves you.

In column 3, write what God says in His word. For example, where you wrote "I am unloved" God says “I have loved you with an everlasting love” (Jeremiah 31:3). Where you wrote “I am afraid to live alone” God says: “I have not given you a spirit of fear” (II Timothy 1:7) or “I will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).

This list will help negative thoughts to banish because you are using positive thoughts to counteract them, but most of all, God’s thoughts will bring comfort, encouragement and hope.

If you are new to using your Bible or want to make finding the verses a little faster, go to http://www.biblegateway.com/  where you can enter particular words in the keyword search box.

Prayer ~ Lord I ask that you show each person who reads this blog how valuable they are to you. Help them to realize it is not You who puts these thoughts into their minds.

Trusting in the Lord for your walk with Him,
Becky


No comments:

Post a Comment