Sunday, May 6, 2012

March 24, 2012



Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
Isaiah 43:18

Thoughts ~

I taught a class a few years ago where I shared how important it is to stop looking in the rear view mirror (at our past) but start looking straight ahead at the future.  Sometimes the future you want to look at is weeks, months or maybe a year away. And sometimes the future is just minutes away. God has a future for us that is part of His plan (Jeremiah 29:11 speaks of this) and as long as we lean on Him and don’t try to take matters into our own hands, He will lead us down the right paths.

Funny thing is, even though I know this and teach this, I stumbled anyway. Last year I found myself spending too much time looking in the rear view mirror of my life, asking the same old questions like “what if?” certain things had not happened. I was pretty miserable that afternoon, but, God used my own class notes to remind me I was looking at former things and dwelling on the past rather than hoping for the future. He’s good like that!

Action ~

Today is a fun exercise for you! Grab a piece of paper, a pen and a pair of scissors. Now, cut out the shape of a rear view mirror. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just the general idea, a vertical oblong shape. Now turn off noise, cell phones and the television and find a quiet place to write the things of your past that you keep looking at, picking at and worrying over. Write them all over the rear view mirror. It may sting a little bit but work through this.

Once you feel certain you have your list finished, ask God to forgive you for anything you have not already asked of Him. Ask Him to help you stop looking at the past and start looking with hope at the future He has planned for you.  And now, the best part! Take the scissors and cut that mirror up into tiny piece, as a symbol of leaving the past behind you. It’s going to feel so good.

Pray ~


Lord, You are the Master of my life and I ask that you remind me to leave the past alone and hope for the future You have planned for me. I love your planning better than mine and I put my trust in You.

Trusting in the Lord,
Becky 

No comments:

Post a Comment