Sunday, July 19, 2015

FEAR: Word of the Day



The type of fear we are talking about today is how Webster defines it:to be afraid or apprehensive.” The inspired authors of the Bible talk about fear in a number of ways, but there are three standout verses from Psalms that many believers know by heart.
  •  Psalm 23:4 is a reminder we do not need to fear anything: “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” 
  •  
  •  Psalm 27:1 proclaims “The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?”
  • Psalm 34:4 talks about deliverance: “I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.”
Now, do me a little favor, and read all three of those verses out loud.
Hearing them often rings a bell in our hearts, prompting us to say “That’s right! God is on my side and I will not fear anything!”

God loves you and He is on your side. Don’t forget that.

We did a study on anxiety a while back in the women’s Bible Class that I lead. One thing that is remarkable to me is how sometimes concern can lead to fretting, which leads to anxiety, which leads to worry, which leads to fear. Which means we basically are not trusting God. I often need my memory jogged when I start to fear something, and having the three Psalms on an index card in a prominent place helps me a lot.

Isaiah 41:10 is another reminder for us: ‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

I choose not to fear.  I choose to trust God!

Becky Capps
Encourager

No comments:

Post a Comment