Monday, July 20, 2015

WISDOM: Word of the Day


Webster defines wisdom in several ways, but for today we will concentrate on this one: it is to have a “wise attitude, belief, or course of action.” This is also God intention for us, and in Proverbs there is a lot of talk about gaining God’s wisdom and living in it. In fact, the word wisdom is mentioned 49 times and wise 64 times!  I think God is trying to tell us something, don’t you?

Proverbs 1:7 shows how wisdom is knowledge: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

Proverbs 2:2 calls for us to listen and apply wisdom: “Make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding.”

Proverbs 4:11 reminds us that God is directing us if we listen: “I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths.”

Oh, Wisdom, where art thou? For many years, even though a Christian, I was not living a wise life.  I pried open doors that God shut, thinking that I knew better. And guess what? I didn’t! It seems messy situations were around every corner because I did not seek God’s wisdom, and to be truthful, I was in a place where I didn’t care much. Now, it breaks my heart to think back to my days of walking “my own way” instead of His way of wisdom. Thankfully, He picked me up, set me on the right path, and I’ve been enjoying seeking His wisdom above all else for years now.

James 1:5 is my go-to verse and prayer when I am seeking God’s will and wisdom. I love the way the New American Standard Bible interprets it from the Greek: “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” God is not going to reprimand me when I go to Him and ask for wisdom: He wants me to ask and to have it!


I choose wisdom!

Becky Capps
Encourager



No comments:

Post a Comment